Feeling Patriotic

Wednesday, July 24, 2013

 The 24th of July is considered a state holiday here in Utah.  

It commemorates the entry of Brigham Young and the first group of Mormon Pioneers into the Salt Lake Valley in 1847 where the Latter-Day Saints settled after being forced from Nauvoo, IL.  It's a wonderful place to live and I'm thankful for the great sacrifice those people made so that we can exercise our religious beliefs freely today.

Needless to say, this day has got me feelin' a little patriotic.

Which reminded me that I never showed you my finished Americana 
wall hanging that I first mentioned HERE



In the little quilt group I belong to, we each made and traded several red and beige half square triangles.  We were then suppose to put them together however we wished.  I decided to go the patriotic route and make a wall hanging for my entry way.  


I made a few more HST's on my own, trimmed them all down to 3" using THIS tutorial, sewed them together in rows and then added the blue section up top with the appliqued star.


I quilted it myself (I'm a total beginner so don't look too close).


The blue polka dot, backing/star print and blue check binding fabric were all from my stash.



Framed USA Fabric Art tutorial can be found HERE.
Wooden Flag Blocks tutorial can be found HERE.  
(There are several on the Internet but this one is the closest to what we used).

*I also had an apothecary jar filled with taffy on the right side of my table but my littles kept getting into it and one day dropped the lid.  Fun times :(

Anyways, I hope you all have a wonderful 24th of July, 
no matter what little corner of the world you're in today! 

Happy quilting!
~ Amber 

14 comments:

  1. Amber that is very pretty. I love patriotic stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's beautiful, Amber! Love the HST's...great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a darling little quilt and so simple to make one could whip it up in just a short time. I hope you don't mind my pinning it for future reference. Your entryway display is really cute too. I love the framed USA fabric cut-out. Yes, it does make one feel patriotic and that's a look and feeling that never gets old. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very Cute Amber -- Happy Pioneer Day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. SO so cute! I love how you decorate you shelves. They remind me of my shelf and table :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the flag and how the red and white "sparkle."

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love red white and blue, and LOVE your wall hanging. Great idea to share blocks so you would have a nice variety. Love your little area!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's beautiful. I love how the red and white "sparkle."

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your flag wall hanging. I decorate red white and blue from Memorial Day until Labor Day. Your patriotic display is perfect for your Utah state holiday. I didn't know that story even though I spent some time in Utah as a child.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your patriotic wallhanging! This is so clever.

    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, this is beautiful. Love your little patriotic area :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful quilt--love working with HST's may try making one for myself have lots of red, white and blue in the stash

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this. I made a quilt very much like this years ago and gave it away as a gift. I will have to make a new one like yours.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful quilts, I love red and blue quilt. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ to hear from you so please feel free to leave a comment. I read each one and try to respond as often as I can. Thanks so much for stopping by! ~Amber