A Mother's Day Gift & My Wedges Are Done!!!

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

I'm a few days late, but I wanted to show some pictures from our Mother's Day Brunch with my extended family on Saturday.  My mom decorated all of the tables with this egg/chicken theme.  She is so creative.  Entertaining and tablescapes are definitely her thing.  She really goes all out!  Aren't the paper skillets such a fun idea?  I just thought the whole thing was so cute.  Good job Mom!


The food was delish and even went along with the chicken theme. We had breakfast burritos, my grandpa's recipe for fried chicken, banana's & whipped cream, muffins, fruit, and orange juice.  The men prepared the food while all of the women relaxed and mingled with one another (well, except my mom, who was in the kitchen over-seeing everything).  It was a great brunch!


After brunch, I was able to present this gift to my mother:


Many months ago she had tested out my Sugar & Spice pattern (which you can find here) using some lovely Fig Tree fat quarters that I had given her to use.  She just made a smaller version of the pattern, which is perfect for a crib or lap size quilt.  So for her Mother's Day gift [from mine and my brothers family] we finished it up for her.


My co-worker quilted it with her long-arm machine and
I was so pleased with how it turned out.  Dense quilting always puts a smile on my face and the rose design suited the fabric well.

This is the fabric we used for the back and the binding:




Happy Mother's Day Mom!  Hope you love your quilt! 

Oh, and I'm happy to say that all of my dresden wedges are ready to be sewn together.  Poking/pressing the points didn't take as long as I thought it would.  I started ironing them last night and finished up today!


It's kind of nice to commit to Blogland that you're going to do something.  It would have been very easy for these wedges to sit in my basket for another month or two, but just saying out loud that these would be done in a few days helped!  Now, for my next goal:  This week I plan to get the wedges for my 10 other dresdens sewed together.  Wish me luck! 

8 comments:

  1. Your moms quilt is beautiful, that dense quilting always unify the whole thing.
    And that dresden.... i cant wait to see more, love all those magentas and cyans and greens. I have in mind to make something with dresden plates someday.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I thought I posted a comment, but then it bumped me back here again.

    Anywho,I love the machine quilting pattern you picked for it. It looks so nice. Your mom sounded thrilled about it, too Thanks for making it happen.

    You are making huge progress on your dresden! Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the table setting....that yellow just pops...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your darling table setting and all. Your quilt for your mom is so pretty! I am in awe of all you get done girl!
    I am going to love keeping up with your progress on the dresdans. Great job Amber! I am going to nickname you Ambitious Amber! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those wedges are amazing, good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the colors of your Dresden quilt! I am so glad your mom is close by--it looks so fun to have her there and the two of you will be whipping up many an elegant spread in times to come. I just hope I can benefit from one this summer--or better yet contribute to one :). Kurt did WIN the table setting contest at Provo High School his senior year so maybe he can get in on it too. (please feel free to tease him about that!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The brunch decorations were so cute! Can't believe I am missing all the family holiday meals. The quilt that you made for Mom looks great! I bet she loved it!

    Those wedges are intense. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amber...beautiful job on the quilt. You can see the joy in mom's face. The brunch sounds and looks like it was another huge hit! Wish we could have joined everyone....always.

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ to hear from you so please feel free to leave a comment. I read each one and try to respond as often as I can. Thanks so much for stopping by! ~Amber