For a special little guy in my life

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

As I've been working on this Wagon Wheel quilt I have not been able to stop thinking about my little boy.  Well, he's not that little anymore.  He's going to be eight soon - October 6th to be exact.  While stitching away, I had an idea that I would give him this quilt [in blues, greens, browns and lots of white] as a baptism/confirmation present.  The quilt will be a reminder of how the Holy Ghost can be a comforter and a protection to him.  I hope he likes it and that it will be a special gift to him.  It's been laying out on my floor for the last week or two as I've tried to finish all of the blocks and get the whole thing pieced together.  He doesn't suspect that it's for him and I think that by October he'll have forgetten all about it. 


What is up with the strips not meeting up, you might ask?  Well, I was trying to embrace the scrappy look of this quilt.  I think mine is a tad more scrappy though, but oh well!  I'm going to try not to let it bother me...(it kind of is though.)  I mean, I meant to do it.  I knew it was going to be like this, but now, I'm kind of regretting it.  Hopefully it will be just as fun and funky as Nettie's quilt was though.  I'm planning on quilting it on my own machine, which is huge for me!  It is a pretty good sized quilt [65"x44"], so this should be interesting.  Wish me luck!



I'm excited about what I got for the binding and back.  Amy Butler's Sun Spots in Mint will be the binding (~ love it!) and Heather Bailey's Hop Dot in Cream will be the back.  Aren't they cute?


So I'll be stitching away for the next few days.  Just straight lines (as that is all that me and my machine can handle I think) but I'm scared.  Please, no puckers!  I'll probably be stopping back in blogworld for a few breaks, so you may hear from me again before this project is done.  Bye!

9 comments:

  1. What a way to make a young man feel special on such an important day!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love it! The colours are wonderful. Your son is so lucky - he will be so surprised!

    I'm also admiring the fabric you've picked for the binding. Why do I always choose plain colours? Hmmm... I will have to remember this next time and go for something more exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your colors and the fabrics. He's a lucky little boy and lucky to have such a thoughtful mother.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a gorgeous quilt...I'm sure he'll love it. I love your selection of backing and binding fabric too!

    Don't worry about the quilting. You'll be fine. Just don't forget to breathe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the way this is looking and can't wait to see it done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea, he will always remember his special day as he enjoys his very special quilt. I love the fabrics you have chosen for the back and binding they compliment your design!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is looking good! The greens are great for your little guy. Pin the top well, you'll do fine on your quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the fabric combinations. You do a great job picking out patterns that compliment each other. Good luck with the quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amber the colors here are so pretty and tranquil!! Love them.

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ to hear from you so please feel free to leave a comment. I read each one and try to respond as often as I can. Thanks so much for stopping by! ~Amber